Deconstructing my thoughts.



Birth of an online tirade


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



I'm betting that what's driving me nuts is also driving quite a few other people crazy. My blog's title, "Irregular Joe", generally refers to the ills that I think are plaguing the mainstream media in this country. I can't exactly cover such a broad topic, so I've decided to limit my topic to MSNBC's show "Scarborough Country", hosted by Joe Scarborough.

Why pick on Joe? Because I like Joe, and I think he's capable of seeing the other side of an argument and acknowledging its merits. That basic civility and respect for another's point of view seems to be fading from American politics and news programs. Unlike many of his contemporaries, I think Joe Scarborough has demonstrated honesty, intelligence, thoughtfulness, and intense loyalty. This loyalty at times can easily be confused as bigotry and vehement partisan bullheadedness. But I think there is a difference between Joe Scarborough and the many in his line of work that are blinded and consumed by their hatred for the opposition. If I can't keep Joe on the honest track, by deconstructing and examining the arguments expressed on his program, at least I've formulated my own opinions on the matter and perhaps gained some knowledge and insight into the issues.


I've watched "Scarborough Country", regularly and intermittently for the past several years. I don't exactly see eye-to-eye with most of what Mr. Scarborough has to say. Some of what Joe says is on the mark. Some of it seems ridiculous, and a lot of it sounds like blatant partisan propaganda. But what I've come to realize is that show's like "Scarborough Country" seem to be becoming the norm on Cable news stations. I see that trend as disconcerting, and something all Americans who care about the health of our democracy should be concerned about.

Joe is up-front about the fact that his show is an "opinion show", namely his opinion, and in principle I see nothing wrong with opinion shows. Where I see a problem is that this genre of red-state, blue-state, partisan showdown news programming is becoming the way we discuss issues in this country. I see it as further polarizing the political discourse in this country and debasing and harshening the tone of our debates and disagreements. It seems that the politicians, and now the media, are becoming ideologues, squeezing out the middle ground with their extreme left and right wing politics, and failing to deliver the pragmatic compromises that America needs and most Americans genuinely crave. The partisan rhetoric and propaganda is the static that is becoming deafeningly loud and threatens to drown out the voices of moderation, tolerance and diversity.

The quality of our news sources and the relevance of the content coming from the mainstream media seems to be sinking lower and lower. Cable news is awash with hour upon hour of reporting and "investigating" of celebrity trials and sensationalized missing person cases. The relentless news coverage of sensationalized criminal cases is the static that is swamping out the information and rational discourse that Americans need to face the tough issues of our time.

The people I interact with in my daily life, people who work regular jobs to pay their bills and raise a family, people who work towards building a brighter future for their families and communities, people who care about the future of this country and the planet, are not worried about celebrity trials. We worry about things like globalization, outsourcing, the environment, corporate and government corruption, health care, education, retirement, security, and yes crime, but not to the inordinate degree that one would conclude by turning on a cable news channel. We worry that a polarized and ideologically driven political system will squabble incessantly in dead-lock and fail to address the big issues of our time. We worry that the issues that really affect us are being drowned out by the comparatively irrelevant and meaningless static. In part I blame the media for it's poor stewardship and dereliction of the vital duty to keep the electorate informed and be a vigilant government and corporate watchdog.

Programs like "Scarborough Country" are a symptom of the problem, not the cause. I'm not blaming Joe Scarborough for all the failings and imperfections of the media and the American political system. I don't intend to single out Joe and bash him for his opinions. If Joe's opinions are well reasoned and thought out, even if I disagree with them, I'll respect that and formulate my reasons why I agree or disagree. I also intend to track the content of Scarborough Country as an example of the disproportionate amount of journalistic and media resources spent on a few isolated criminal and celebrity cases. I intend to point out the shameful partisan rhetoric when I see it. The ideologues that blindly follow the party line, while incessantly berating and smearing anyone in opposition are turning the political discourse in this country toxic. My goal is to point out the hypocricy of blind partisanship and to call it the venom that it is. It's the poison that is doing this country no good and Americans should not tolerate the demagoguery and smearing that permeates politics. Joe Scarborough espouses common sense, and I intend to hold him to that.

I'll conclude my inaugural post with the root-cause of my decision to start a blog on this topic. Today I emailed Scarborough Country to express my displeasure at attacks that Joe and a guest leveled against Senator Chuck Hagel for an appearance that he made on Sunday, Aug. 21st, 2005 where he expressed concern about the Bush administration's policies in Iraq. I just got fed-up of watching partisan ideologues smear people with opposing views rather than having an honest discourse and debate of the issues. The kind of poisonous assault on Senator Hagel for his remarks is precisely the kind of partisan rhetoric that is dishonest, toxic and hurts the political discourse. It seemed that Joe Scarborough was particularly upset that Senator Hagel, a republican, would dare express a view that does not favor the Bush administration. For Monday, Aug. 22nd, 2005, Joe Scarborough certainly towed the party line. Joe, your lack of tollerance for decenting opinions within your own party is making you look like a partisan ideologue. But tomorrow's another day. Maybe you can tone down the rhetoric and address the issues.

The transcript of Joe's shameful remarks can be found here (or check msnbc.com).

my email to MSNBC:
Joe,
How you can equate Senator Hagel's comments to undercutting our troops is the most outlandish non sequitur I have heard in some time. Siding with someone that accuses Sen. Hagel of helping the insurgents and selling out our troops is beyond the pale. When are you going to realize that criticizing our government's policies is NOT a criticism of the men and women serving our country? It's really quite a simple concept; criticizing policy makers does not equate to criticizing the military that is bound to carry out those policies. Would you really rather live in an America where we all blindly support costly foreign wars, and never question our government, no matter how bad things seem to get? Vilifying and slandering those who raise questions and criticize, especially those who question something as important as a war, is a monumental disservice to everything that you've purported to stand for. An intelligent, articulate man such as you should be able to formulate a coherent, rational rebuttal to Sen. Hagel's remarks rather than teaming up with some partisan zealot and demonizing, condemning and bashing the Senator on the air. Many Americans share Senator Hagel’s concerns about our presence in Iraq continuing along the protracted and costly path that it has followed thus far. It’s outrageous that those Americans who are the most concerned and worried about the war (and the troops!), are accused of being traitors and sell-outs. If that’s the kind of demagoguery you’ve sunk to on your show, you can consider this casual viewer, a non-viewer.


5 Responses to “Birth of an online tirade”

  1. Anonymous Anonymous 

    I just discovered your blog, Joe, and based on this well-reasoned and principled post, I'll be back to see what else you have to say.
    Best wishes,
    Black Pete

  2. Blogger Gabriel 

    Black Pete,
    Thanks for your comments. Hope you come back soon and I hope I'm able to keep up this blog.

  3. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Thank you!
    [url=http://mawzapgi.com/bglq/jkbb.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://mxxtelue.com/bcja/bhwb.html]Cool site[/url]

  4. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Good design!
    My homepage | Please visit

  5. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Great work!
    http://mawzapgi.com/bglq/jkbb.html | http://zbldpfer.com/yrso/ecfk.html

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me


ATOM 0.3

Previous posts

Links

Serious Blogs

Humor Blogs

Useful Blogs

Archives

Blogaudit Listed on BlogShares